Injury Attorney NYC Representing Pedestrians Injured In Accident With An Automobile
The streets and sidewalks of New York are crowded, and pedestrians have to hustle to get from point A to point B. To cross safely and to arrive at your destination alive, always obey the rules of the crosswalk. While you can’t control the vehicles around you, there are things that you can do to help ensure that you cross safely to the other side. In the unfortunate event that you already have been hurt by a careless motorist, you should call Personal Injury Lawyer New York who specializing and Pedestrian Accidents as soon as you can.
Rules of the Crosswalk
Because they represent the confluence of pedestrians and heavy traffic, New York crosswalks are inherently dangerous. The New York Department of Transportation dictates that drivers must yield the right of way to pedestrians in the crosswalk. If there is no crosswalk, conversely, pedestrians must yield the right of way to drivers.
Risks of the Crosswalk
Even with these restrictions, however, crosswalks continue to pose plenty of risks for pedestrians:
- Distracted drivers
- Impaired drivers (Drunk Driving Accident)
- Low visibility of night driving
- Poor driving conditions (that can lead to increased stopping distances) caused by inclement weather
Populations that are at greater risk of being struck by a car in New York’s crosswalks
- The elderly
- Pedestrian commuters (who spend more time on the city’s sidewalks)
- Tourists and other pedestrians who are unfamiliar with their surroundings
Staying Safe Out There
While there’s no way to ensure your safety as a pedestrian, there are things that you can do to help you stay safe on the sidewalks of New York:
- Follow the crowd – It’s safer to cross streets in small groups, which are more visible to oncoming traffic, than it is to do so alone.
- Get the map out – When you’re hoofing it around New York City, it behooves you to know where you’re going or to at least have a good idea. Forearming yourself with this information can help keep you safer by allowing you to cross fewer streets and by getting you where you’re meant to go.
- Look alive – Staying alert to traffic will help keep you safe. Don’t let traffic become background noise that you simply ignore.
- Dress appropriately – If you must walk in the dark, wear light-colored clothing with light-reflective accents. Always wear footwear that allows you to walk comfortably and securely and that is appropriate for the weather.
If you are injured in a pedestrian accident, seek immediate medical attention and then consult an experienced Personal Injury Attorney.
If You’ve Been Injured in a Pedestrian Accident, Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer For A Free Consultation
If you or someone you care about has been injured in a pedestrian accident, call The Rybak Firm,PLLC., today. Our team of experienced and knowledgeable Personal Injury Attorneys will explain and guide you through. We understand how devastating pedestrian accidents can be and are committed to fighting for and obtaining the compensation that you deserve. Our Personal Injury Law Firm has extensive experience handling pedestrian accident cases like yours, and are here to help. Call Now 24/7 (718) 307-5554 or contact us online.