Accident Lawyer NYC Representing Victims Injured In Motorcycle Accidents
As a motorcycle rider, you are probably all too aware of the dangers of a crash. In fact, in 2013, riders were 26 times more likely than drivers to die in an accident, according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. And too many of these motorcycle accidents occur due to car driver inattention or negligence.
When another driver causes a crash and you suffer injuries as a result, you may be able to collect compensation for any damages by filing an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. To learn more about your right to compensation for your injuries, call The Rybak Firm, PLLC today at 718-307-5554
What are common types of driver inattention and negligence in motorcycle accidents?
Motorists in cars driving carelessly cause a number of motorcycle accidents each year. A large percent of motorcycle crashes occur at intersections (e.g., drivers who do not see an oncoming motorcycle make a left on green, drivers pull out in front of motorcycles from a side street, driveway, or parking lot).
Other common ways motorists cause motorcycle accidents include:
- Changing lanes and running into the motorcyclist
- Tailgating, causing a rear end accident
- Texting while driving
- Driving while drunk
- Driving distracted or being inattentive in some other way
Who is liable in a motorcycle accident?
When the driver of a car fails to follow traffic laws, this type of careless driving can lead to property damage, injuries, and death. Under New York No-Fault Auto Insurance Law, however, the injured victims must suffer what the law deems “serious” injuries to be liable. The state does not hold injured motorcyclists to this threshold, though.
If a driver’s carelessness — known legally as negligence — causes a motorcycle crash, he or she is responsible for any damages the motorcyclist suffers. This means if a negligent driver caused your wreck, you can file an insurance claim based on his or her policy or file a personal injury lawsuit to collect compensation to cover your hospital bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
How do I prove negligence and liability?
In order to prove negligence and demonstrate liability, you will need to show:
- The other driver should have followed certain laws, or acted in a certain way
- He or she failed to do so, the driver often fails to do so by violating traffic laws
- This caused you to crash your motorcycle, and caused the resulting injuries
- You suffered actual losses due to this crash and your injuries
If you can prove these four elements, you are eligible to request damages for your injuries. While a wide variety of damages are possible, some of the most common include:
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation or physical therapy costs
- Lost wages and loss of future income
- Cost of assistive equipment such as wheelchairs and prosthetics
- Other accident-related costs
- Pain and suffering
What type of evidence do I need to gather to prove liability and damages?
In order to ensure you receive the maximum payout for your injuries, accident attorney will build a strong case to support your claim. This requires a number of documents and other evidence, often including:
- Police reports (for requests after 30 days, use this form)
- Eyewitness statements
- Pictures of the scene, damage, and your injuries
- Your medical records
- Surveillance footage of the accident from local businesses
- Accident reconstruction
- Expert testimony
You will also need to present evidence to prove your economic damages, including the cost of treating your injuries. Often, this includes:
- Hospital bills
- Bills from rehabilitation centers and other care providers
- Bills from home healthcare services
- Documents showing missed work
- Expert testimony from an economist about future potential earnings
- Expert testimony from medical professionals about your recovery
The 2 blog posts below have answer to FAQ on motorcycle accidents please take a read:
How Personal Injury Attorneys of The Rybak Firm, PLLC help me?
If you suffered injuries in a New York Motorcycle Accident and believe that the accident was the fault of a careless motorist, we can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Personal Injury Attorneys of The Rybak Firm, PLLC have decades of combined experience working with the injured victims of motorcycle accidents, so we understand the seriousness of a motorcycle accident and the nature of your injuries.
We will focus on building your case against the negligent driver so you can focus on your recovery. Contact us online today or call 718-307-5554 Available 24/7 at for a Free Case Consultation and Evaluation and to learn more about getting the money you need to cover your medical bills and more.
Accident Lawyer Near Me
Our offices are located in Brooklyn, NY. Although our offices are in Brooklyn, NY we serve the whole NYC Metro Area and represent clients in every borough of New York City. Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyers are able to travel to you if you are unable to meet at our offices due to an injury. We also provide free transportation to and from our offices.
Our office address is:
1810 Voorhies Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11235