Danger Of Icy Road Car Accidents During Winter Driving
Severe winter weather can frighten and endanger motorists. More than 116,000 Americans suffer injuries on snowy and icy roads every winter. Stay at home when road conditions turn hazardous. If you must drive, keep the following tips in mind to help ensure your safety.
6 Tips for Driving on Icy Roads To Avoid An Accident
Even a light amount of snow or a drizzle of freezing rain can quickly turn roads, bridges, and shaded areas into black ice. If you find yourself driving on an icy road, take these suggestions for staying calm and in control:
- Drive slowly. High speeds make it both easy to lose control and difficult to stop. It takes a lot longer to reduce your speed or come to a stop without good road traction.
- Time of day. Remain extra cautious at sunrise and sunset, when temperatures drop down and black ice most often forms.
- Danger zones. Bridges, overpasses, and shady areas will ice over more quickly than other areas and will stay frozen for much longer.
- Equipment. Keep a survival kit in your trunk in case of emergency. Equipment could include a windshield scraper, a shovel, road salt, a flashlight, booster cables, battery powered radio, a first aid kit, matches, emergency flares, a blanket, and a cell phone adapter to plug into your lighter receptacle.
- Signals. Make sure to brake and signal turns far in advance to warn other drivers what you’re going to do.
- Icy patches. If your car begins to slide, remain calm, keep your foot off the pedals, steer in the general direction you want to go, and find areas of the roadway that offer traction.
3 Essential First Steps To Take If You Were Involved In A Car Accident
If you end up in a car accident while driving on an icy road, dangerous weather conditions could present additional dangers. To ensure you and your passenger’s safety, consider:
- Moving your car away from the scene of the car accident to a safer area.
- If you cannot move your car, stay inside it. If you get out of your car and stand on the road, you risk other vehicles losing control at the same icy spot and striking you.
- Call 911. Emergency service provides can safely block off the road and divert traffic around you.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer Today for a Free Consultation
If you were injured in a car accident and have questions about the process , contact an experienced team of Personal Injury Lawyers of The Rybak Firm, PLLC., today by calling (718)307-5554 24/7 or writing us online to schedule a free consultation and case evaluation. We will develop a legal strategy to help you recover compensation for the maximum damages allowable under New York Law.
Car Accident Lawyer Near Me
Our offices are located in Brooklyn, New York. However, we serve clients throughout the whole New York City Metro Area and represent clients in every borough of New York City. If an injury prevents you from meeting at our offices, our personal injury attorneys may travel to meet with you. We also provide free transportation to and from our offices.
Our office address is at:
1810 Voorhies Avenue, Ste #7
Brooklyn, NY 11235